Great guidelines for landlords in any state. Thanks Val.
HOW TO KEEP GOOD TENANTS
Near Val Vista Lakes in Gilbert AZ I have a couple rental properties. My goal is to keep good tenants in these properties, which is easy with planned procedures.
First, select good tenants through background and credit checks.
A prospective tenant who has lost their home through foreclosure is usually a good tenant. One of mine had lost their home and they are excellent tenants.
Here are some suggestions to help demonstrate to your tenant that you are professional. The more professional you are, the more they will respect you.
- Have your lease typed up with details spelled out
- Go through the lease with them so they know what is expected of them, and what they can expect of you.
- Get their email and phone contacts
- Provide your email address and cell phone number so they can reach you immediately.
- Assure them that you will respond to repair needs immediately
- Keep that promise
- Have a home owners manual in a loose leaf binder for them.
By doing this up front, you will have gained the confidence of the tenant, and will start off with a great working relationship.
If the rent is one day late, begin the eviction procedure as spelled out in your state.
In Arizona a 5-Day Notice to Pay or Vacate is sent on the first late day. If the procedures are not followed exactly, then you have to begin all over again.
When a tenant receives that notice, they will know you're serious, and if they are going to be a good tenant, you can expect the rent to arrive on time arfterwards.
Above all, when the tenant calls for a repair, respond and take care of the issue immediately. Your tenant will appreciate you for taking care of them, and it will save you much money later on.
Every 6 months or so, the landlord should make an inspection (this should be spelled out in the lease).
- Schedule a time that is convenient for the tenant
- Inspect for any maintenance that may need to be done, such as paint, wood repair, dripping faucets, toilets, tree trimming etc
- Arrange to repair those items. It's part of your regular maintenance expense
- Twice a year have the Heat and AC inspected, just prior to the new summer and winter season. That inspection by a professional may save you money later, and save a lot of inconvenience for your client.
By conducting your rental property business in this professional manner, and showing respect for your tenants, you will be able to keep great tenants who will respect you as a landlord.
Contact Captain Bill for information on homes for sale in Val Vista Lakes Gilbert AZ
If your home is in a Short Sale situation
All content and photographs on this blog are Copyrighted and may not be copied or reproduced in whole or part without the express written permission of the author.
Doug Durren and Gloria Todor, Realtors®, SRES®, SFR®
CENTURY 21 ABSOLUTE REALTY
512 Baltimore Pike, Springfield, PA 19064
610-328-4300 x131 Office
Contact Us For A Free Consultation
Helping Sellers and Buyers since 2004
Monthly Market Reports Posted Here